Screening for Mental Health
Wondering about your mental health? Take a screening online!
There is a choice of 13 screens to determine if you have one or several mental health disorders.
The Covid-19 virus may have changed the way we meet, but it has not stopped depression from affecting millions of Americans. An estimated 16 million U.S. adults (almost 7% of the population) had at least one major depressive episode in the past year, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Depression, anxiety, alcohol and drug abuse are on the rise. We need to reach those individuals who need to be connected to helpful resources.
National Depression Screening Day is designed to call attention to the illness of depression on a national level and designed to educate the public about symptoms and effective treatment, to offer individuals the opportunity to be screened for depression and to connect those in need to the mental health care system in Delaware.
On Thursday, October 6th, 2022, many organizations participated with MHA in providing quick, anonymous screenings in various locations throughout the state. There were also many sites who provided screenings throughout the month of October, not just on Thursday, October 6th, 2022. These screenings are often the first step for individuals with depression in getting help. We had 177 screenings online and 55 in-person screenings with 28 individuals referred to treatment.
Like other health problems such as heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes, many people with depression are not aware of their illness. The depression screenings are not a professional evaluation, but are a quick and easy way to spot some of the early signs of trouble. Clinical Depression is a common medical illness affecting more than 15 million American adults each year. Over 84,000 Delawareans reported experiencing serious psychological distress in the past year, with depression being among that distress. Importantly, 80% of those diagnosed with depression who seek treatment, experience a decrease in symptoms within 4-6 weeks.
It is very important for people to understand the connection of mental health to physical health and overall well-being. An initiative such as National Depression Screening Day 2022 works to provide Delawareans options if they are reluctant to seek help. It also establishes prevention and early intervention.
You can access the screens 24 hours a day/7 days a week. There are 13 screens including depression, bipolar, anxiety disorder, PTSD, eating disorders, gambling, substance abuse, psychosis and several more.
The following sites will be offering depression screenings on Thursday, October 5th and other dates throughout October 2023
- A.C.E. Peer Resource Center (10/9 10:00-12:00) 20707 Dupont Blvd. Georgetown, DE 19947
- A.C.E. Peer Resource Center (10/9 1:00-3:00) 547 N. Bradford St. Seaford, DE 19973
- AIDS Delaware ( 10/5 10:00-3:00) 100 W. 10th St., Suite 315, Wilmington, DE 19801
- Brandywine Community Church-City of Love (10/5 10:00-2:00) 2200 Market St. Wilmington, DE 19802
- Claymore Senior Center (10/10 10:00-11:00) 504 S. Clayton St., Wilmington, DE 19805
- Del Tech Community College-Georgetown (10/5 11:00-1:00) 21179 College Dr. Georgetown, DE 19947
- Del Tech Community College-Dover (10/5 11:00-1:00) 100 Campus Dr. Dover, DE 19904
- Del Tech Community College-Stanton (10/5 11:00-1:00) 400 Stanton Christiana Rd. Newark, DE 19713
- Del Tech Community College-Wilmington (10/5 11:00-1:00) 300 N. Orange St. Wilmington, DE 19801
- DeLaWarr Senior Center (10/24 9:30-11:30) 19 Lambson Lane, New Castle, DE 19720
- Dover Behavioral Health (10/5 7:00am-11:00pm) 725 Horsepond Rd. Dover, DE 19901
- Easter Seals (10/5 9:30-12:30) 61 Corporate Circle, New Castle, DE 19720
- Goldey-Beacom College (10/12 3:30-6:30) 4701 Limestone Rd., Wilmington, DE 19808
- Harrington Senior Center (10/17 10:00-12:30) 102 Fleming St. Harrington, DE 19952
- Harvest Years Senior Center (10/19 10:00-12:00) 30 South St., Camden, DE 19934
- La Red Health Center (10/5 8:00-5:00) 21444 Carmean Way, Georgetown, DE 19947
- Mobile Crisis Intervention Services (10/5 9:00-6:00) 700 Main St., Ellendale, DE 19941
- Mobile Crisis Unit-Northern DE (10/5 8:00-4:00) 1901 N. DuPont Highway, Wilmington, DE 19720
- Neighborhood House (10/4 10:00-12:30) 1218 B St., Wilmington, DE 19801
- New Castle Senior Center (10/18 10:00-12:00) 400 South St., New Castle, DE 19720
- Newark Senior Center (10/12 10:00-12:00) 200 White Chapel Dr., Newark, DE 19713
- St. Anthony’s Senior Center (10/11 11:00-12:30) 1703 W. 10th St., Wilmington, DE 19805
- Mamie Warren Senior Center (10/6 10:00-1:00) 1775 Wheatley’s Pond Rd. Smyrna, DE 19977