Screening for Mental Health
Wondering about your mental health? Take a screening online!
There is a choice of 13 screens to determine if you have one or several mental health disorders.
The Covid-19 virus may have changed the way we meet, but it has not stopped depression from affecting millions of Americans. An estimated 16 million U.S. adults (almost 7% of the population) had at least one major depressive episode in the past year, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Depression, anxiety, alcohol and drug abuse are on the rise. We need to reach those individuals who need to be connected to helpful resources.
National Depression Screening Day is designed to call attention to the illness of depression on a national level and designed to educate the public about symptoms and effective treatment, to offer individuals the opportunity to be screened for depression and to connect those in need to the mental health care system in Delaware.
On Thursday, October 6th, 2022, many organizations will participate with MHA in providing quick, anonymous screenings in various locations throughout the state. There are also many sites who will provide screenings throughout the month of October, not just on Thursday, October 6th, 2022. These screenings are often the first step for individuals with depression in getting help.
Like other health problems such as heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes, many people with depression are not aware of their illness. The depression screenings are not a professional evaluation, but are a quick and easy way to spot some of the early signs of trouble. Clinical Depression is a common medical illness affecting more than 15 million American adults each year. Over 84,000 Delawareans reported experiencing serious psychological distress in the past year, with depression being among that distress. Importantly, 80% of those diagnosed with depression who seek treatment, experience a decrease in symptoms within 4-6 weeks.
It is very important for people to understand the connection of mental health to physical health and overall well-being. An initiative such as National Depression Screening Day 2022 works to provide Delawareans options if they are reluctant to seek help. It also establishes prevention and early intervention.
You can access the screens 24 hours a day/7 days a week. There are 13 screens including depression, bipolar, anxiety disorder, PTSD, eating disorders, gambling, substance abuse, psychosis and several more.
We want to thank the following sites for offering on site depression screens during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2022:
- A.C.E. Peer Resource Center (10/6; 9:00am to 4:00pm) – 547 Bradford St., Seaford, DE 19973
- A.C.E. Peer Resource Center (10/10; 10:30am to 12:30pm) – 20707 Dupont Blvd, Georgetown, DE 19947
- Brandywine Community Church (10/6; 10:00am to 2:00pm) – 2200 Market St., Wilmington, DE 19802
- Claymore Senior Center (10/14; 11:00am to 12:00pm) – 504 S. Clayton St., Wilmington, DE 19805
- Del Tech Community College- Dover (10/6; 11:00am to 1:00pm) – 100 Campus Dr., Dover, DE 19904
- Del Tech Community College- Georgetown (10/6; 11:00am to 1:00pm) – 21179 College Dr., Georgetown, DE 19947
- Del Tech Community College- Stanton (10/6; 11:00am to 1:00pm) – 400 Stanton Christiana Rd., Newark, DE 19713
- Del Tech Community College- Wilmington (10/6; 11:00am to 1:00pm) – 300 North Orange St., Wilmington, DE 19801
- Delaware Senior Center (10/21; 9:30am to 12:00pm) – 19 Lambson Lane, New Castle, DE 19720
- Goldey Beacon College (10/13) – 4701 Limestone Rd., Wilmington, DE 19808
- Joseph Patrick Fabber Memorial Foundation (10/6; 9:00am to 6:00pm by appointment) – 401 North Bedford St., Georgetown, DE 19947
- Harvest Years Senior Center (10/24; 9:30am to 12:00pm) – 30 South St., Camden, DE 19934
- La Red (10/6; 9:00am to 5:00pm) – 21444 Carmean Way, Georgetown, DE 19947
- Mamie Warren Senior Center (10/7; 10:30am to 12:30pm) – 1775 Wheatleys Pond Rd., Smyrna, DE 19977
- Mobile Crisis Unit – Northern DE (10/6; 8:00am to 4:00pm) – 1901 N. Dupont Highway, Wilmington, DE 19720
- Mobile Crisis Intervention Services (10/6; 9:00am to 7:00pm) – 700 Main St., Ellendale, DE 19941
- Neighborhood House, Inc. (10/6; 11:00am to 1:30pm) – 1218 B St., Wilmington, DE 19801
- New Castle Senior Cetner (10/3; 10:00am to 11:00am) – 400 South St., New Castle, DE 19720
- Newark Senior Center (10/19; 10:00am to 12:30pm) – 200 White Chapel Dr., Newark, DE 19713
- St. Anthony’s Senior Center (10/17; 11:00am to 12:30pm) – 1703 W. 10th St., Wilmington, DE 19805
- Tomaro’s Change (10/6) – 3301 Green St., Suit 235, Claymont, DE 19703